Zoom for Faculty
Fall 2018, SWBTS transitioned from Adobe Connect to Zoom as the supported video conferencing platform for classroom instruction (i.e. for Flexible, Synchronous, or Flexible-Access).
We have provided answers to some of the anticipated questions below. If you have additional questions or concerns, please reach out to Campus Technology (email@example.com; 817-921-8555) or stop by the Help Desk (RB6 – Memorial Building).
- Why the transition from Adobe Connect to Zoom?
- Survey results from our Zoom pilot indicate that Zoom provides a more stable and reliable experience for our faculty and student users
- Student surveys reported that learning was improved by the use of Zoom
- Zoom has higher quality audio and video
- Surveys indicated that Zoom is generally easier to use
- Who will be provided a Zoom license?
- Any professors who are scheduled to teach a flexible class, a synchronous live class, or who will have flex-access students in their PhD seminar will be issued a Zoom license for the current semester
- These licenses will be reassigned at the formal conclusion of each academic semester
- Select administrative offices will also be provided a Zoom license due to their regular academic programming need
- If a department desires a Zoom license but does not meet the above categories, is there a way for them to get a Zoom license supported by AIT?
- Yes, please contact AIT for more information regarding your particular situation
- If you have a one-time or only occasional need, AIT will check out a license for your use
- If you have a regular need, this may involve a budget transfer for the cost of the license, but AIT will take care of providing and supporting the license
- How is Zoom similar to Adobe Connect?
- They both provide you the ability to chat with other participants
- They both allow you to screen share
- They both let you record the meeting
- How is Zoom different to Adobe Connect?
- Zoom has a different user interface (more user friendly)
- Zoom records directly to the host computer rather than to external servers
- How do I retrieve my recorded files on Adobe Connect?
- You will have until December 31, 2018 to retrieve your recordings off of the Adobe Connect servers
- Contact AIT to check out an Adobe Connect license for 2 weeks at a time to be able to retrieve your recordings
- If possible, it is best to do this before September 10, 2018 because at that time the number of licenses we have to check out will be reduced
- Can I still use Adobe Connect for classes, meetings, etc.?
- Adobe Connect will no longer be supported by AIT for the classroom or regular seminary business
Please reach out to Campus Technology (firstname.lastname@example.org; 817-921-8555) or stop by the Help Desk (RB6 – Memorial Building) if you have questions or for additional help finding the right solution for your need.