SWBTS Adobe Connect to Zoom Migration
This fall, SWBTS is transitioning from Adobe Connect to Zoom as the supported video conferencing platform for classroom instruction (i.e. for Flexible, Synchronous, or Flexible-Access).
We have provided answers to some of the anticipated questions below. If you have additional questions or concerns, please reach out to AIT (firstname.lastname@example.org; 817.923.1921, ext. 5858) or stop by our office (Fleming Hall, office F4).
- Why the transition from Adobe Connect to Zoom?
- Survey results from our Zoom pilot indicate that Zoom provides a more stable and reliable experience for our faculty and student users
- Student surveys reported that learning was improved by the use of Zoom
- Zoom has higher quality audio and video
- Surveys indicated that Zoom is generally easier to use
- Who will be provided a Zoom license?
- Any professors who are scheduled to teach a flexible class, a synchronous live class, or who will have flex-access students in their PhD seminar will be issued a Zoom license for the current semester
- These licenses will be reassigned at the formal conclusion of each academic semester
- Select administrative offices will also be provided a Zoom license due to their regular academic programming need
- If a department desires a Zoom license but does not meet the above categories, is there a way for them to get a Zoom license supported by AIT?
- Yes, please contact AIT for more information regarding your particular situation
- If you have a one-time or only occasional need, AIT will check out a license for your use
- If you have a regular need, this may involve a budget transfer for the cost of the license, but AIT will take care of providing and supporting the license
- How is Zoom similar to Adobe Connect?
- They both provide you the ability to chat with other participants
- They both allow you to screen share
- They both let you record the meeting
- How is Zoom different to Adobe Connect?
- Zoom has a different user interface (more user friendly)
- Zoom records directly to the host computer rather than to external servers
- How do I retrieve my recorded files on Adobe Connect?
- You will have until December 31, 2018 to retrieve your recordings off of the Adobe Connect servers
- Contact AIT to check out an Adobe Connect license for 2 weeks at a time to be able to retrieve your recordings
- If possible, it is best to do this before September 10, 2018 because at that time the number of licenses we have to check out will be reduced
- Can I still use Adobe Connect for classes, meetings, etc.?
- Adobe Connect will no longer be supported by AIT for the classroom or regular seminary business
Again, please reach out to AIT if you have questions or for additional help finding the right solution for your need (email@example.com; 817.923.1921, ext. 5858; Fleming Hall, office F4).